Certificates and Diplomas
Marine Commercial Qualifications
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Examiner Motor
- MCA Master 200GT Unlimited- OOW 500GT Unlimited
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Instructor (Sailing Vessel and Power Driven Craft) certificates (Royal Yachting Association )
- RYA/MCA Certificate of Competence: Yachtmaster Ocean. Sailing Vessel and Power Driven Craft. Commercially and STCW endorsed.
- RYA International Certificate of Competence.
- RYA Powerboat Instructor for Powerboat level 1 and 2.
- RYA VHF SRC (Short Range Certificate)
- RYA VHF SRC Assessor (Instructor and Examiner)
- RYA RADAR Instructor
- Maritime New Zealand Certificate of Competency as Inshore Launch Master (ILM)
- Yachting New Zealand Sailing Instructor
- Coastguard Boating Education New Zealand Marine radio Instructor
- Coastguard Boating Education New Zealand Boatmaster Instructor
- Master 200 GT (Sailing Yacht) certificate (STCW)
- Master 200 GT (Motor Yacht) certificate (STCW)
- Sailing boat Skipper certificate
- Motor Yacht Skipper certificate
- Master certificate of competency
- Marine Engineer 250 kW
- GOC (General Operator Certificate)
- ROC (Restricted Operator Certificate)
- Patrão de Costa
- Patrão de Alto Mar
Other Marine qualifications:
- STCW95 Basic safety training
- Yachting New Zealand Sailing Instructor, Level 3/3, (Yachting New Zealand Seamanship Instructor)
- New Zealand Coastguard Instructor/Tutor/Examiner (Coastguard Boating Education New Zealand )
- Certificate for operational radio communications, GMDSS (STCW)
- Medical training certificate Level 2 from the French Merchant Marine (STCW)
- Fire fighting training certificate (STCW)
- Sailing Instructor FFV (French Sailing Federation) on Keelboats and Dinghies
- New Zealand Red Cross Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Level 2
- New Zealand Red Cross First Aid in the Marine Environment
- French first aid licence (AFPS)
- Certificate of additional training in the first aids with equipment
- French recreational boating licenses (Off-shore, coastal, river and sport)
- PhD in Physical oceanography. "Climate variability in the tropical Atlantic ocean"
- Master in Meteorology and Oceanography
- Skippering and teaching,
- Boat Maintenance,
- Very good proficiency in common Microsoft applications, such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access.
- English (Fluent)
- Portuguese (Fluent)
- German (Intermediate level)
- French (Mother tongue)
- Excellent communication and social skills
- Customer focus attitude and skills
- Flexible and mobile
- Open minded with a positive attitude
- Excellent presentation skills
- Very reliable, hardworking and quick learner
- Calm and able to work under pressure in a challenging environment
- Self leadership attitude
Nautical professional experience
March 2012 - Present: Owner, RYA Principal and Chief Instructor (Sailing Vessel and Power Driven Craft) at Seawings, Cascais, Portugal.
- Manager of the RYA training Centre
- Responsable for the standards of training
- Teaching RYA courses (Power and Sail Yachtmaster schemes, and powerboat)
- Charter (Sailing and Motor yachts)
- Yacht deliveries (Sailing and Motor yachts)
March 2010 - February 2012: RYA Yachtmaster Instructor for Sailing Yacht and Power Driven Vessel, Powerboat Instructor, Charter Skipper, United Kingdom and Portugal.
September 2007 - February 2010: Skipper-Senior Instructor-RYA powerboat Chief Instructor at the Wellington Ocean Sports in Wellington, New Zealand. My position and responsibilities include:
- Instructor on RYA powerboat courses
- Instructor on all sailing courses from Yachting New Zealand "Learn to Sail" national scheme
- New Zealand Coastguard tutor for Day Skipper, Boatmaster and tutor/examiner for Marine radio
- Administration of the Sailing Academy with the Academy Manager
- Corporate Sailing sessions (Team Building)
- Sailing sessions for school groups, teenagers and youth at risk
- Delivery of the NCEA (National Certificate of Educational Achievement) courses
- Private tuitions on owner's yachts
- "Slip Master": Overseeing operation of the Slipway and the equipment, coordination of the booking and payment for public use
- Responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the fleet
Feb 2006 - Aug 2007: Skipper-Sailing Instructor at the Wellington Ocean Sports in Wellington, New Zealand.
OTHER EXPERIENCE IN NEW ZEALAND
- Travel-Writer for a guide book (New Zealand North Island) for the company "Frogs-in-nz Ltd" (3 months contract)
- Oceanographer at the National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Reasearch (NIWA), (5 months part time contract)
2005: First Mate aboard the sailing Yacht "Le vieux Crabe" (Auric Ketch, 28 metres, 50GT) from the company "Marine et compagnie" , shipowner M. Reze.
2004: Employee at the scientific mediation service from the Cité de l'Espace in Toulouse, France
2002-2003: Oceanographer at the "Oceanographic Institute of the University of São Paulo" in Brazil
1998-2001: PhD candidate in Oceanography at the "Laboratoire d'Etude Géophysique et Océanographie Spatiale (LEGOS)" in Toulouse (France)
1994-1998: Skipper and Sailing Instructor at the Yacht Club of Ile D’Yeu (4 months per year)
1994-1998: Master in Meteorology and Oceanography
1992-1994: First Mate aboard the Sailing Yacht "Fleur de Lampaul" (Auric Ketch, 32 metres, 62GT)
1987-1992: Various navigations, expeditions, campaigns aboard the Sailing Yacht "Fleur de Lampaul". See details below
Experience aboard the Sailing Yacht "Fleur de Lampaul"
Between 1987 and 1994, I worked, sailed and lived four years aboard the Sailing Yacht "Fleur de Lampaul" from the company "Archipel", shipowner C. H. Gruyer.
In 1987, when I was 13 years old, I embarked for a one year expedition to Portugal, the Madeira and Canaries Isles. This voyage is documented in a book (“Les EnfantsDauphins” Ref: ISBN: 2-07-058726-6, A58726, Ed. Gallimard) and a documentary for the French television (programme "Thalassa" on channel 3).
At 16 years old, in 1990, I embarked on the same vessel as a professional crew member for the programme "Le Festival de la Mer". During this voyage, we sailed along the French Atlantic coast during 4 months, visiting more than 20 ports.
When I was 18 years old, in 1992, I just graduated from my high school and I embarked as a first mate for a two and a half years expedition called "Les Peuples de l'eau/Peoples of the Sea". During this expedition we sailed along the west African coast; Mauritania, Senegal and Guinea Bissau, then across the Atlantic ocean to Amazon, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermudas, Azores and back to France.
During this voyage, we wrote 4 books ("Les peuples de l'Eau", Ref: ISBN: 2-07-058726-6, A58726, Ed. Gallimard) and produced 16 documentaries for the French television (programme "Thalassa" on channel 3) plus numerous other television news and press articles.
And some videos of when I was young(er) onboard the sailing vessel "Fleur de Lampaul:
Other qualifications, activities and interest
- Scuba diver licence (eg, PADI Advanced Open Water Diver)
- Private Pilot license (Pilot T.T., V.F.R.)
I am an active person who has a strong interest in different peoples, environmental issues, cultures and societies. I enjoy travelling off the beaten tracks. I am passionate about the sea and enjoy sailing (racing and cruising, sailing and motor yachts, keelboats and dinghies). I also like scuba and free diving, flying, tramping, mountain biking, music, and playing in a Batucada.