Certificates and Diplomas
Marine Commercial Qualifications
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Examiner Sailing Vessel and Power Driven Craft
- MCA Master 200GT Unlimited- OOW 500GT Unlimited
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Instructor (Sailing Vessel and Power Driven Craft) certificates (Royal Yachting Association )
- RYA/MCA Certificate of Competence: Yachtmaster Ocean. Sailing Vessel and Power Driven Craft. Commercially and STCW endorsed.
- RYA International Certificate of Competence.
- RYA Powerboat Instructor for Powerboat level 1 and 2.
- RYA VHF SRC (Short Range Certificate)
- RYA VHF SRC Assessor (Instructor and Examiner)
- RYA RADAR Instructor
- Maritime New Zealand Certificate of Competency as Inshore Launch Master (ILM)
- Yachting New Zealand Sailing Instructor
- Coastguard Boating Education New Zealand Marine radio Instructor
- Coastguard Boating Education New Zealand Boatmaster Instructor
- Master 200 GT (Sailing Yacht) certificate (STCW)
- Master 200 GT (Motor Yacht) certificate (STCW)
- Sailing boat Skipper certificate
- Motor Yacht Skipper certificate
- Master certificate of competency
- Marine Engineer 250 kW
- GOC (General Operator Certificate)
- ROC (Restricted Operator Certificate)
- Patrão de Costa
- Patrão de Alto Mar
Other Marine qualifications:
- STCW95 Basic safety training
- Yachting New Zealand Sailing Instructor, Level 3/3, (Yachting New Zealand Seamanship Instructor)
- New Zealand Coastguard Instructor/Tutor/Examiner (Coastguard Boating Education New Zealand )
- Certificate for operational radio communications, GMDSS (STCW)
- Medical training certificate Level 2 from the French Merchant Marine (STCW)
- Sailing Instructor FFV (French Sailing Federation) on Keelboats and Dinghies
- New Zealand Red Cross Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Level 2
- New Zealand Red Cross First Aid in the Marine Environment
- French first aid licence (AFPS)
- Certificate of additional training in the first aids with equipment
- French recreational boating licenses (Off-shore, coastal, river and sport)
- PhD in Physical oceanography. "Climate variability in the tropical Atlantic ocean"
- Master in Meteorology and Oceanography
- Skippering and teaching,
- Boat Maintenance,
- Very good proficiency in common Microsoft applications, such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access.
- English (Fluent)
- Portuguese (Fluent)
- German (Intermediate level)
- French (Mother tongue)
- Excellent communication and social skills
- Customer focus attitude and skills
- Flexible and mobile
- Open minded with a positive attitude
- Excellent presentation skills
- Very reliable, hardworking and quick learner
- Calm and able to work under pressure in a challenging environment
- Self leadership attitude
Nautical professional experience
March 2012 - Present: Owner, RYA Principal and Chief Instructor (Sailing Vessel and Power Driven Craft) at Seawings, Cascais, Portugal.
- Manager of the RYA training Centre
- Responsable for the standards of training
- Teaching RYA courses (Power and Sail Yachtmaster schemes, and powerboat)
- Charter (Sailing and Motor yachts)
- Yacht deliveries (Sailing and Motor yachts)
March 2010 - February 2012: RYA Yachtmaster Instructor for Sailing Yacht and Power Driven Vessel, Powerboat Instructor, Charter Skipper, United Kingdom and Portugal.
September 2007 - February 2010: Skipper-Senior Instructor-RYA powerboat Chief Instructor at the Wellington Ocean Sports in Wellington, New Zealand. My position and responsibilities include:
- Instructor on RYA powerboat courses
- Instructor on all sailing courses from Yachting New Zealand "Learn to Sail" national scheme
- New Zealand Coastguard tutor for Day Skipper, Boatmaster and tutor/examiner for Marine radio
- Administration of the Sailing Academy with the Academy Manager
- Corporate Sailing sessions (Team Building)
- Sailing sessions for school groups, teenagers and youth at risk
- Delivery of the NCEA (National Certificate of Educational Achievement) courses
- Private tuitions on owner's yachts
- "Slip Master": Overseeing operation of the Slipway and the equipment, coordination of the booking and payment for public use
- Responsible for the maintenance and repairs of the fleet
Feb 2006 - Aug 2007: Skipper-Sailing Instructor at the Wellington Ocean Sports in Wellington, New Zealand.
OTHER EXPERIENCE IN NEW ZEALAND
- Travel-Writer for a guide book (New Zealand North Island) for the company "Frogs-in-nz Ltd" (3 months contract)
- Oceanographer at the National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Reasearch (NIWA), (5 months part time contract)
2005: First Mate aboard the sailing Yacht "Le vieux Crabe" (Auric Ketch, 28 metres, 50GT) from the company "Marine et compagnie" , shipowner M. Reze.
2004: Employee at the scientific mediation service from the Cité de l'Espace in Toulouse, France
2002-2003: Oceanographer at the "Oceanographic Institute of the University of São Paulo" in Brazil
1998-2001: PhD candidate in Oceanography at the "Laboratoire d'Etude Géophysique et Océanographie Spatiale (LEGOS)" in Toulouse (France)
1994-1998: Skipper and Sailing Instructor at the Yacht Club of Ile D’Yeu (4 months per year)
1994-1998: Master in Meteorology and Oceanography
1992-1994: First Mate aboard the Sailing Yacht "Fleur de Lampaul" (Auric Ketch, 32 metres, 62GT)
1987-1992: Various navigations, expeditions, campaigns aboard the Sailing Yacht "Fleur de Lampaul". See details below
Experience aboard the Sailing Yacht "Fleur de Lampaul"
Between 1987 and 1994, I worked, sailed and lived four years aboard the Sailing Yacht "Fleur de Lampaul" from the company "Archipel", shipowner C. H. Gruyer.
In 1987, when I was 13 years old, I embarked for a one year expedition to Portugal, the Madeira and Canaries Isles. This voyage is documented in a book (“Les EnfantsDauphins” Ref: ISBN: 2-07-058726-6, A58726, Ed. Gallimard) and a documentary for the French television (programme "Thalassa" on channel 3).
At 16 years old, in 1990, I embarked on the same vessel as a professional crew member for the programme "Le Festival de la Mer". During this voyage, we sailed along the French Atlantic coast during 4 months, visiting more than 20 ports.
When I was 18 years old, in 1992, I just graduated from my high school and I embarked as a first mate for a two and a half years expedition called "Les Peuples de l'eau/Peoples of the Sea". During this expedition we sailed along the west African coast; Mauritania, Senegal and Guinea Bissau, then across the Atlantic ocean to Amazon, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermudas, Azores and back to France.
During this voyage, we wrote 4 books ("Les peuples de l'Eau", Ref: ISBN: 2-07-058726-6, A58726, Ed. Gallimard) and produced 16 documentaries for the French television (programme "Thalassa" on channel 3) plus numerous other television news and press articles.
Documentary "Ils ont grandi au large" (They grew up at sea), in french.
And some videos of when I was young(er) onboard the sailing vessel "Fleur de Lampaul:
Other qualifications, activities and interest
- Scuba diver licence (eg, PADI Advanced Open Water Diver)
- Private Pilot license (Pilot T.T., V.F.R.)
I am an active person who has a strong interest in different peoples, environmental issues, cultures and societies. I enjoy travelling off the beaten tracks. I am passionate about the sea and enjoy sailing (racing and cruising, sailing and motor yachts, keelboats and dinghies). I also like scuba and free diving, flying, tramping, mountain biking, music, and playing in a Batucada.